17 November 2013

shop local

Over the last few years, I have noticed a major shift in my values as my understanding of the world has evolved. When it comes to spending money, I have realised that I don't "need" more material items like clothes, shoes and bags, and have ultimately started to invest more in my future. And no, I don't mean a house or other major investments. I mean investing in my health, the health of my family, and the health of my community.

One particular aspect of this ideal, has been a major shift in my food shopping decisions. I stopped shopping at Coles and Woolworths a couple of years ago and made the baby step to shopping at IGA. It sounds easier than it is, as we always tend to stick with whatever is familiar, and for me, going food shopping with my mum every week as a child was a Coles excursion. I then started incorporating getting my fresh produce from the local markets, organic growers and farms.

Due to the nature of these suppliers, it often meant going to more than one destination each week to get the ingredients I needed to cook meals. A couple of friends suggested I try shopping online with Aussie Farmers, but I never really bought into the whole online food shopping ritual.

Now, as our business is growing, and our workload is increasing, I find meal planning super important. Once I week I plan every meal and every snack for the coming week. It means we always have what we need without having to rush to the shops at the last minute, and no food goes to waste. We also eat a lot healthier.

After seeing a promotion for Aussie Farmers, I thought it made sense to give it a go. I knew exactly what I needed from my meal planning exercise, and it meant I wouldn't have to drive anywhere or spend any time searching for the produce and groceries I needed.

I was very impressed with the Aussie Farmers customer service over the phone - the people were friendly, efficient, knowledgeable and helpful (and local). Their website and mobile device app were great too, showing what was available according to my local farmers.


Poppy licking her lips in anticipation with our very first greengrocer delivery

Our local franchisee delivered our first greengrocer delivery and was super friendly. He introduced himself to my husband and explained a little bit about himself, leaving his direct contact details in case we had any queries, and ended the conversation with "we will see you next week". The old school milko is back!!!

The meat and bakery goods subsequently got delivered through the night, and were left in a handy freezer bag, that you leave out for them to re-use each time.

The service has been impeccable…we just can't wait to see Aussie Farmers expanding there available produce as they sign up more local farmers. On a selfish level, it is surprisingly satisfying to know you are supporting local farmers and suppliers, through a business model that gives so much back to the community in general. Check out their website to find out more: http://www.aussiefarmers.com.au

The beautiful contents of our very first greengrocer box
[Edit: I found this video made by a resident in Iowa but the principles apply to everyone everywhere. Support local, sustainable, community-based practices! Click here to watch]

No comments:

Post a Comment